- Date de réalisation : 11 Juin 2021
- Lieu de réalisation : Université Paul Valéry Montpellier 3 Site Saint Charles
- Durée du programme : 60 min
- Classification Dewey : Linguistique, Analyse du discours (langage, linguistique, la littérature et les langues)
- Catégorie : Conférences
- Niveau : Tous publics / hors niveau, niveau Licence (LMD), niveau Master (LMD), 1er cycle, 2ieme cycle, Concours (Agrégation, CAPES...)
- Disciplines : Langue et Littérature anglaise et américaine
- Collections : Evidentiality And Modality: At The Crossroads Of Grammar And Lexicon
- ficheLom : Voir la fiche LOM
Dans la même collectionAlexandra Aikhenvald (Central Queensland University), The Web of knowledge: Evidentiality at the ... Pr. Bernd Heine (Köln University), "The grammar of interactives: The challenge of discourse" Nicolas Tournadre (AMU, Institut Universitaire de France, LACITO), "The Status of Egophoric Markers ...
Jan Nuyts (University of Antwerp), On the relations between evidentiality and modality
This talk focuses on whether or not the domains of evidentiality and modality relate, and if so, how they relate. The literature does not give a simple answer to this question, mainly because evidentiality and modality are both cover-terms for distinct categories, and the categories within each of the two domains are conceptually quite divergent. In line with what I suggested in earlier work, I will argue that some modal and evidential categories are more closely related with each other than they are with some of the other categories in their own domains. This means by implication that the traditional division between the domains of modality and evidentiality dissolves and that the semantic territory covered by them is re-parcelled.